Summer in Lausanne is quite magical, thanks to the city’s blue skies, sun, amazing locations and events.
So, let’s discover the funniest things to do in this marvelous city in summer!
Stunning summer activities in Lausanne
1. Enjoying Lake Geneva
Lausanne is synonymous with Lake Geneva, which is home to several terraces, festivals, and restaurants. So, we suggest you:
- Try boat and paddle boat trips: CGN offers a wide number of lake boat cruises in summer, going from day excursions to gourmet meals, the Belle Époque paddle steamers, and the ferry crossings of Lac Léman;
- Relax on the beach: over one and a half kilometers of beaches on the lake, where you can taste delicious food and cocktails.
2. Chilling in the parks
What’s more, with its 16 beautiful parks, Lausanne offers plenty of green spaces, such as:
- Sauvabelin Park: to enjoy wood paths, have a walk, jogging, rent rowing boats, visit the small zoo, discover the Sauvabelin tower, or eat at the marvelous restaurant that dips its feet in the lake;
- Louis Bourget Park: perfect to organize a picnic and get a tan as you enjoy the forest or the bathing-accessible lakeside shoreline;
- Parc de Mon Repos: a real haven of peace and relaxation in the city’s heart, perfect to play, walk, or just meditate.
3. Hiking and walking across the city
In addition, you may explore the city’s streets and surrounding countryside by joining one of its themed walks, such as:
- The Vineyards of Lavaux: about 30 km along the northern coast of the lake, which is listed as one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Here you can take a guided tour every Sunday to discover the region’s culture and taste its wine;
- A walk on the lakeside: various lakeside hiking trails allow enjoying breathtaking landscapes, like the picturesque path between Morges and Lausanne, where you can hire a stand-up paddle or a pedal boat, enjoy the hotel-restaurant and the snack-bar along the beach;
- A panoramic stroll on Lausanne’s hills: a downhill stroll facing the lake, to discover the city’s most beautiful views on the Alps, the Jura, and the Plateau – from a 35-metre-high and eco-friendly tower.
4. Having fun at the terrace-bars
In the city center or surrounded by nature: Lausanne offers different beautiful terraces to chill out in summer! Among them, you can stop by:
- The Jetée de la Compagnie: a temporary terrace on the lake shores, with delicious beers, cocktails, grilled brochettes, and summer events;
- The Watergate: a lakeside terrace that offers a marvelous landscape and a delicious Italian cuisine, including pizzas;
- Les Grandes Roches: a relaxing atmosphere under the arches of Pont Bessières, with a large choice of drinks, lemonade, and snacks;
- La Grenette: a summer pop-up terrace on Place de la Riponne, which offers a wide choice of drinks and represents a popular meeting point.