Did you know that Switzerland houses over 7000 lakes, as well as numerous rivers and streams?
That’s exactly why, after looking for the perfect serviced apartment in Zurich and settling in this stunning city, you should absolutely spend some time surrounded by nature.
So, let’s see together the most marvelous lakes near Zurich!
The most stunning lakes near Zurich
1. Lake Zurich
Zurich has its own lake – Lake Zurich or Zürichsee, – which connects the city to Rapperswil and features:
- Different small islands;
- Two peninsulas;
- A bridge that also carries a train railway.
On top of that, Lake Zurich offers several opportunities to swim, along with many activities on and around the lake, such as:
- Bathing – in one of the many open-air bathing facilities or lidos;
- Trying some water sports – like boating or stand-up paddling;
- Taking a boat trip or a cruise;
- Hiking – discovering areas like Ufenau Island or Rapperswil Castle;
- Eating in a restaurant by the water – enjoying fresh food and romantic sunsets.
2. Lake Lucerne
After finding the right apartment in Zurich and moving to this amazing city, you can’t lose the opportunity to enjoy some one-day trips to discover the Swiss beauties!
Lake Lucerne – the fifth-largest lake in the country – is surely one of them, being just 53 km away from Zurich. This wonderful lake will offer you:
- Numerous basins and bays – such as Buochs, Stansstaad, Weggis, and Gersau – with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and landscapes;
- Several cruises – including short or long round trips, culinary cruises, and a cruise with mountain excursions.
3. Lake Walen
Another unmissable spot is Lake Walen – in the Heidiland region, – around 70 km from Zurich. Its area also houses:
- Several modern playgrounds – the Spielerlebnis Walensee;
- Wonderful trails and walking paths;
- A relaxed and Mediterranean atmosphere – especially in Weesen, where you can enjoy the view on a restaurant terrace.
4. Lake Brienz
What’s more, we suggest you visit the beautiful Lake Brienz, in Canton Bern – about one hour and a half from the city by car, – which will fascinate you with:
- Its turquoise waters;
- The marvelous village of Brienz;
- The Brienzer Rothorn mountain and the Giessbach Waterfalls – both listed under the Inventory of Swiss Heritage Sites.
5. Lake Thun
Another lake near Zurich that’s really worth visiting is Lake Thun – around 1 hour and 45 minutes away by car, – an alpine lake where you’ll enjoy:
- A stunning panorama of the surrounding mountains, meadows, castles, and towns;
- The Steam Boat Blümlisalp from Thun to Interlaken and back – a 90-minute tour that provides amazing views of Hilterfingen, the Hünegg Park, and Oberhofen.
6. Lake Obersee
Finally, we suggest you give a try to Lake Obersee, which is less than one hour away from Zurich.
This is a beautiful, quiet lake in Canton Glarus that houses the Brünnelistock and a hotel overlooking the area. A perfect place to simply walk around, enjoy nature, and relax!