Have you just settled in your serviced apartment in Zurich, but still wondering how to celebrate the New Year’s Eve?
On the 31st of December, you can experience an unmissable festive mood with plenty of spectacular fireworks, parties, music and dance performances. There are many events to choose from, ranging from traditional celebrations to modern street parties.
You can also explore the beauty of the Swiss Alps, go skiing and snowboarding, or take a scenic train ride to experience the majestic Swiss landscapes. And don't forget to sample some of the delicious Swiss delicacies such as raclette, fondue, and rösti. It's sure to be a memorable experience that you won't forget!
So, let’s discover the most stunning New Year’s Eve parties across the country!
Where to go in Switzerland to Celebrate the New Year?
1. Zurich Traditional Fireworks and Celebrations
Every year, millions of people in Switzerland assemble in various locations in Zurich to celebrate the New Year's Eve – from Limmatquai to General Guisan-Quai and Lake Zurich, – enjoying:
- Live music concerts, dance and entertainment;
- Massive firework displays;
- Delicious food and drinks;
- The Silvesterzauber big party on Lake Zurich;
- Amazing dinners and galas on several hotel restaurants.
2. Piazza Della Riforma Party in Lugano
Lugano houses people from all over the world on the New Year's Eve – when the city turns into a winter paradise made of Christmas markets and lights. Here, you can enjoy:
- Open-air live music, dance performances, and entertainment in Piazza Della Riforma – with popular Swiss DJs’ performances;
- The parade – from Piazza Della Riforma to Palazzo Dei Congressi, – with Mediterranean food and finest drinks.
3. ‘End of The Year’ Cruise on Lake Geneva
In addition, we suggest you discover the magic of Lake Geneva and its New Year’s Eve grand event to:
- Join the amazing “End of The Year Cruise”, enjoying a festive menu, champagne, music, dance and entertainment;
- Marvel at the traditional Geneva fireworks displays and the view of the city;
- Pop over to some of the best clubs and rooftop restaurants around the lake.
4. The Celebrations at Theater Basel
While, if you’re an art lover, you can’t miss the Theater Basel’s ballet performance on the New Year’s Eve, where you can also:
- Join spectacular celebration surrounded by snowflakes, ice kings and queens, in a comfortable chalet atmosphere;
- Enjoy the live DJ sets in the theater;
- Opt for the annual concert at Munsterplatz;
- Visit the stands along the banks of the Rhine.
5. The New Year's Eve Buffet in Bern
In addition, we suggest you give a try to the New Year's Eve buffet on the Gurten – on Bern’s mountain, – with a stylish dinner in the Gurtners restaurant that offers:
- A delicious 7-course dinner in the Pavilion;
- An outdoor fondue on the terrace and a tasty buffet;
- A fantastic view of the city and the fireworks.
6. Live Music and Sports at Interlaken
What’s more, Interlaken houses numerous parties, with amazing fireworks and music – such as on the Hohematte, where popular artists and musicians perform near the lakeside.
Here, you may also enjoy several sports activities like:
- Horseback riding;
7. The New Year’s Eve Concert in Lausanne
The Festival Lumières in Lausanne, held annually, is one of the largest fireworks displays in Switzerland. During the festival, the city's most iconic buildings or monuments are illuminated with spectacular light projections.
Additionally, visitors are strongly encouraged to attend the New Year's Eve Concert and the Cathedral illuminations, both of which are some of the most popular events of the festival. The fireworks display, light projections, and live music create a unique and unforgettable atmosphere, making Festival Lumières a must-see event in Lausanne.