We’ve recently seen how Bern is one of the most fascinating cities in Switzerland.
But there's more: you should know that the cold season turns the city into the perfect winter wonderland, thanks to the snowy mountain peaks and the Old Town’s fairytale-like atmosphere.
So, let’s discover Bern’s winter attractions in detail!
Bern in Winter: the best things to do
1. Skating in front of the Parliament
In winter, Bern’s Parliament Square turns into an artificial ice rink that’s really popular among locals and tourists.
So, every year thousands of people skate on this wide and illuminated ice rink, also enjoying mulled wine and cheese fondue at the nearby restaurant!
2. Tasting a delicious fondue
From a charming chalet to a cozy cable car: there’s plenty of ways to taste cheese fondue in Bern! So, we suggest you try this typical dish at:
- Kursaal Terrace: with a spectacular view over the rooftops of Bern's Old Town, this is the perfect place to taste fondue along with exclusive wines or cocktails. Just book a ‘Rooftop Igloo’ to spend a wonderful evening out with your friends;
- Marzilibrücke Restaurant: in the restaurant’s garden, on the banks of the Aare, four charmingly decorated cable cars allow you to discover both the mountains and the fondue – classic or with black truffle;
- Fondü-Hütte: the Schwellenmätteli Fondue Chalet is built on the banks of the Aare and offers a stunning view of the Old Town. Here you can taste several fondue mixtures on Bern’s Riviera;
- The Yurt at the Innere Enge: a warm yurt set up as fondue area, within the Hotel Innere Enge’s park. This is the ideal place to enjoy different fondue’s variations.
3. Spending a day at SchneeSelital
What’s more, we recommend you to visit SchneeSelital, a charming winter destination that lies between Bern, Thun, and Freiburg.
A winter paradise – perfect for skiing, sledding, cross-country skiing, and winter hikes – in the Gantrisch Nature Park, where you can also taste a delicious fondue at the Berghütte Selital Restaurant.
4. Taking a picture of the Rosengarten
Did you know Bern was named “the most Instagrammable winter city in the world” in 2017?
Indeed, the city offers many places to photograph in winter, going from the Rosengarten – the most Instagrammable winter spot – to the Zytglogge and the allegorical fountains, just to name a few!
5. Discovering the Ice Palaces at Schwarzsee
Last but not least, discover the Schwarzsee’s ice palaces – about 50 kilometers from Bern, – a charming ice paradise set in a fairytale atmosphere.
In this small forest you will wander through the footpaths, explore ice constructions, discover caves or igloos – and then enjoy a drink or grill a sausage in the bar!